Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!


While everybody loves a snow day, I'm sure my niece is a little upset about missing school today . She was supposed to be celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday with her entire school. Her grade was assigned to bring in one of their Dr. Seuss books. They were hoping be able to come up with at least one copy of each of his books. The younger kids were getting to wear hats in honor of "The Cat in the Hat".

Speaking of which, my mother bought my daughter "The Cat in the Hat" yesterday for our own little Dr. Seuss celebration. She wanted to get her "Oh, The Places You'll Go", unfortunately they only had the game. Too bad, I loved the hope for her future that choice represented. Maybe Grandma can give it to her for her birthday.

In the meantime, "The Cat in the Hat" is perhaps the perfect introduction to Dr. Seuss since she calls every animal a kitty cat. Oddly enough, if I ask her to bring me her froggy or her duck she does, so some distinction is being made. Who knows, maybe in her world it is species: kitty cat, subspecies: froggy.

The image above is today's Google's masthead in honor of Dr. Seuss.

2 comments:

xoxoxo said...

You can never be too old for Dr. Seuss. One of my little gal's favorite first books was "There's a Wocket in My Pocket!" I didn't remember that one from my childhood, but it is a lot of fun.

jane said...

No Dr. Seuss is truly timeless. I really love Horton Hears a Who but then it also makes me worry about all the little worlds out there! As if there wasn't enough to worry about.