Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Another Snowy Day and King's Cake





My daughter woke me up today and announced it was snowing. This winter reminds me of the winters from my childhood which seemed longer and colder and just more wintry than those of recent years. I'm enjoying having snow on the ground for days and the fact that our snowman is still standing after almost a week (all though a little worse for the wear). Also, I love how different details stand out in a snow covered environment.

Tufted Titmice and Chickadees, which might go unseen by us in the summer, are putting on a show of aerial acrobatics outside our window as they jockey for position at the bird feeder. The branches of the trees are like large abstract line drawings against the sky and the deer are moving in tiny herds through the woods. Sometimes they are just tiny silhouettes in the distance and other moments they are suddenly up close peering out of the bushes with giant brown eyes. I'm trying to soak it all in and enjoy this deep winter. We ate King's Cake today to celebrate Mardi Gras which means spring is really just around the corner. Lent starts tomorrow and by the time it ends in forty six days we will be watching the daffodil bloom.

2 comments:

xoxoxo said...

I love that photo - she is so adorable! happy rest of this long winter!

jane said...

Thanks, She is my cutie. And we are in for more snow! I think it suits the whole Olympics thing.